Report Changes

Welcome to Reporting Changes Through ConneCT!

To use ConneCT to report a change to your local Department of Social Services (DSS) office, check the box for each of the changes you would like to report.  You can check as many boxes as you need to.  Then click the Next button at the bottom of the page.

Keep in mind that you should only check the box for a utility change if you've had a change in the types of utilities you pay.  For example, if you have stopped paying for a phone but have started paying for electricity, you should check the box and report both changes. What if I need to get in touch with someone about my case?  You can call the ConneCT number to get information concerning your case.

What kind of proof will I need to provide? If your worker asks to see proof of a change you've reported, below are some examples of what you can give.  In most cases, you may mail or bring copies of these items to your local DSS office. If you need help getting proof, ask your worker.

Supporting Documents:

Proof of identification: Driver's license, state ID, voter registration card, wage stub, identification for health benefits, or birth certificate/record, etc.


Proof of immigration status: For everyone who is asking for benefits but is not a U.S. citizen, you may need to give your worker proof of their immigration status. You can give your worker copies of your Green Card, alien registration card, or passport.  Even if someone doesn’t have these documents, he or she may be able to get some benefits.


Proof of job income: For everyone who has a job, you will need to prove how much money they earn at each job they have.  This includes self-employment. You can give your worker copies of paycheck stubs or a statement from the employer that says how much money the person earns.  If anyone lost a job, you may have to provide proof of when the income ended.


Proof of other income: For everyone who has income from somewhere other than a job, you will need to give your worker proof of how much money they get from each source (For example: unemployment compensation benefits, child support, etc.). Proof of housing and utility costs: Copies of your rent or mortgage receipt with the address on it, lease or statement from your landlord, property tax statement, cancelled payment check, homeowner’s insurance statement, or utility bills.


Proof of dependent care costs: Copies of care receipts, bills, or a signed statement from the care provider


Proof of medical costs: Copies of billing statements, itemized receipts, or statements from your pharmacy.


You will need to mail or bring proof to the DSS when information is asked for. 


To continue, click the NEXT button. 
To close this window and return to the MyAccount page, click the CANCEL & EXIT button.